Aloo Gobi or Gobhi Aloo is a popular dry vegetarian side dish from north-Indian cuisine. Aloo gobi is made with Aloo (potatoes) and gobi (cauliflower) cooked with fresh ginger-garlic and seasoned with warm Indian spices and stir-fried.
Aloo Gobi and Bhindi (Spiced Okra stir-fry) are my kids’ favorite side dishes to have in an Indian meal. I make two versions of it. One is a light stir-fry with cumin seeds, green chilies and Indian spices, and this version, where I make a light onion-tomato gravy and cook the potatoes and cauliflower florets in it. Both versions are simple and come together in under 10 minutes.
Stove-Top recipe for a Light Stir-Fry: I take a heavy bottom stir-fry pan.
- Heat it on medium high heat for 30 seconds. Add oil, add cumin seeds and green chilies to it. When the cumin seeds begin to splutter, add cauliflower florets and potato cubes/slices. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne. 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder and stir well. Cover the lid and cook for 4-5 minutes, or till the potatoes are cooked through.
- Open the lid and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, till all liquid has evaporated. Garnish with cilantro!
In the recipe below, I have cooked this dish in my programmable pressure cooker, Instant Pot. It took me sometime to figure out the right time to cook dry side dishes in it though. Due to the steam cooking style, I liked how it evenly cooked the veggies, but wasn’t a fan of the liquid I got towards the end of cooking. After a few batches of experimenting, I figured that for most vegetables 0-1 minute pressure cook/Manual was my magic number. So, depending on the size of your potatoes and cauliflower florets, you can set the time.
Aloo Gobi- Spiced Potato and Cauliflower - Instant Pot /Stir-FryPrint Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup onion, sliced (half of 1 medium onion)
- 2-4 green chilies or 2 jalapeños (de-seeded for milder flavor)
- 1 cup Yukon gold potatoes, sliced (red potatoes can work too)
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1-2 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro for garnish
Heat Instant Pot on Saute till it displays 'Hot'. Add cumin seeds and wait for them to sizzle. Add onions, green chilies and potatoes. Saute for 1 minute. Add chopped ginger-garlic and saute for another minute.
Add chopped tomato, salt and all spices. Saute for 2 minutes. Add cauliflower florets and gently stir. Cancel SAUTE. Set valve to Sealing position. Cook on Manual/Pressure Cook for 0-1 minutes, depending on the size of your florets and potato.
Open lid after manually releasing pressure (QR). If there is any liquid at the bottom, you can turn on SAUTE for a couple of minutes. Garnish with cilantro!
Pin it for later: