Instant Pot Egg Bites or Frittata Muffins are a bite of comfort early in the morning! They are warm, fluffy, flavorful and nutritious eggs bites that are shaped like muffins. 5 minutes of prep, 5 minutes of cooking. Cooking these is a 1-2-3 process– Beat eggs, top with your favorite mix-ins, cook them for 5 minutes in the Instant Pot– breakfast couldn’t get any easier than this!
Eggs! The number one choice of breakfast foods in my home. Growing up, Omelet-Sandwiches were a staple breakfast for school mornings. Sometimes, mom would add a variety of small diced vegetables in it and give it to us for lunch. It’s a perfect meal- protein and nutrient packed- keeps you full and going for hours. In this recipe, I will show you how to make frittata muffins or egg bites in an instant pot or an oven. I also have a super simple Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs recipe.
Frittata Muffins/Egg Bites in the Oven:
So what is a Frittata? Frittata is an Italian egg-based dish similar to a quiche without the crust. It’s made by mixing the egg mixture with meats, cheeses, vegetables or even pasta
Hit Flavors of Egg Bites in my Home:
We make all kinds of variations- Mediterranean Frittata, with Feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh basil; Indian Frittatas– with fine diced onions, peppers and tomatoes, seasoned with cumin and cayenne; Sometimes, left-over mac’n’cheese makes it in a Mac’n’Cheese Frittata, and then there is the “Anniversary Special“- which is a Crispy Potato Frittata. This is one of my all-time favorites- so my husband makes this for breakfast on our anniversary, every year… well, almost every year:-)
I have done 5 different flavors for the frittata muffins, but you can customize them however you like. It took me 5 minutes prep to chop up some baby spinach, sun dried tomatoes and green onions. I always have some pre-cooked bacon or sausage in my fridge (part of my weekend prep), which comes in handy for a quick flavor booster to eggs and soups. Here’s are the 4 flavors we did, plus we’ve added a 5th flavor combo that’s our current favorite:
- Mediterranean– Feta cheese, Sun dried tomatoes, chopped baby spinach
- Corn & Jack– Frozen corn, chopped or shredded Pepper jack cheese, chopped green onions
- Bacon & Cheese– Chopped, pre-cooked Bacon, Mexican 3-cheese blend shredded cheese
- Spinach & Bacon– Chopped baby spinach, chopped pre-cooked bacon and chopped green onions for a mild onion flavor
- Broccoli & Cheddar- Chopped fresh broccoli and freshly grated white cheddar and gruyere combination
Making Egg Bites in the Instant Pot:
Here, I have adapted my recipe for my electrical pressure cooker, the Instant Pot 6 Qt (check out my instant pot FAQ & accessories blog). The Frittata Muffins turn out so moist, and stay moist for re-heating and eating. 5 minutes of prep and 5 minutes of cooking- how easy is that! They are a great make-aheads for the week, or, for a brunch gathering. I assemble them in Silicone Cupcake Muffin Molds, my new favorite kitchen accessories.
Another great alternative that I started using recently is the 7 Cavity Silicone Mold Muffin Pudding Mold. You don’t need to grease them, but I like to spray them lightly with a coconut oil baking spray and the muffins come out so easily!
3-Step process to put these flavor bites together:
- Beat the eggs with seasoning and a little milk. I personally use a good old fork to beat the eggs, but my kids love this handheld electric Egg Whisk. It beats the eggs nice and fluffy without having to learn the ’tilt-the-bowl’ technique as with a fork. You can also use this little gadget for frothing your milk for lattes and cappuccinos. I have to say, I’m kinda falling for it:-) After beating the eggs, you divide them evenly in the silicone cups.
- Top with your favorite mix-ins. You can customize your own, since these are small individual portions.
- Cook in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes. Manually release the pressure and you’re done.
If you’re using the 7 Cavity Silicone Mold Muffin Pudding Mold, the timing remains the same. Here’s how you assemble them: