Keema Naan Pizza – Warm and oven-toasted Naan, brushed with garlic-infused extra-virgin olive oil, topped with salty and tasty mozzarella cheese, followed by pre-made Chicken/Turkey/Lamb/Beef Keema (spiced ground meat) and sliced sweet rainbow peppers, sprinkled with cayenne and fresh cilantro… if your mouth isn’t watering yet, you need to taste this!
Pizza is one of our go-to take-out option. When my kids were younger, we used to make it from scratch at home. Kids would love to help in kneading the dough, sprinkling the pizza board with flour, roll out the pizza dough into ‘anything but round’ shapes:-), and then top it with their favorite toppings, with extra cheese of course!
A few years ago, we started making Fusion Pizzas at home. We would make Mediterranean Pizza, Taco Pizza, Thai-delight Pizza, Tandoori Chicken Pizza and so on. In the last few years, as weekdays got busier for us as a family, we started using store-bought bread bases for these Pizzas and actually started to prefer them. We started using whole-wheat or regular Pita breads, Tortillas, baguettes and Naan as our bases, and they worked so well with our recipes. Naan Pizza is one of our favorite combinations to do. It’s Pizza with an Indian twist! I make a gazillion variations of this Pizza. This is a great way to revamp any leftovers too. I use paneer leftovers, leftover grilled chicken, leftover Pork Ribs… and slice up some peppers and onions and it makes for a real delicious meal with a side of a salad.
Keema Naan Pizza makes for a great appetizer too. I cut it in 2-inch pieces and serve it as appetizers. They’re easy to grab with one hand, especially if you’re holding a drink in another, and they make for great conversation starters! You can make this pizza with any kind of ground meat like chicken, turkey, lamb or beef. You can make this vegetarian by switching the ground meat with finely diced mushrooms or a minced paneer preparation (Paneer Bhurjee).
For this recipe, I start by making Keema (ground meat with Indian spices) in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot (see instant pot FAQ). You can make this a day or two in advance too. So this recipe is great for a weeknight dinner, where you can prepare your Keema over the weekend, and then simply assemble this Pizza and pop it in the oven for 8 minutes! This comes together in 15-20 minutes with very little effort. For a detailed recipe and video for Keema, click here. Here’s how simple it is:
Keema on the Stove Top
Here’s how to make Keema on the Stove top:
- Start by heating a skillet on medium high heat. When it’s heated (about 30 seconds to a minute), add oil and add chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste. Sauté for a minute.
- Add salt and all dry spices and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add 1/4 cup water and 3 tablespoons of tomato paste. Adding water makes it easier to stir and blend the tomato paste. Stir and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup water and ground meat. Adding the water with the meat helps in incorporating the spice mix with the meat. Use a wooden spoon or a tall spatula to break the meat it into smaller chunks. Mix it well.
- Cover the skillet. Reduce heat to “Medium” and cook for 15 minutes, stirring once in between. If using ground chicken, adjust cooking time to 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid, turn on the heat to Medium-high and sauté for 1-2 minutes , till the extra liquid evaporates and peas cook through. Turn off the heat. Stir in some fresh chopped cilantro and you’re done!
Keema Naan Pizza- Indian Ground Meat PizzaPrint Recipe
- 1 lb ground meat (chicken, turkey, lamb, beef)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste (1/2 inch ginger + 3 cloves garlic)
- 1 small onion, fine chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 3 teaspoons Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste (I love the tubes)
- 3/4 cup water to be added in 2 parts
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Naan Pizza
- 4 whole-wheat Naan, or regular (Store-bought, I buy from Trader Joe's )
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil with 1 clove of crushed garlic, microwaved for 20 seconds
- 1.5-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1.5-2 cups sliced sweet rainbow peppers or bell peppers
- 1 pinch of Cayenne for sprinkling on top (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro for topping
Keema Finely chop onion and ginger-garlic. Turn on the Instant Pot DUO on Sauté. Wait 30 seconds for it to warm up. Add oil and chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste. Sauté for a minute.
Add salt and all dry spices and sauté for 30 seconds. Add 1/4 cup water and 3 tablespoons of tomato paste. (Adding water makes it easier to stir and blend the tomato paste.) Stir and sauté for 30 seconds.
Close the lid. Set valve to Sealing. Cook on Manual for 10 minutes and then release the pressure manually (QR). If using ground chicken or turkey, reduce the cook time to 8 minutes.
Open the lid, turn Instant pot on Saute. Sauté for 1-2 minutes till the extra liquid evaporates and peas cook through. Turn off the IP.
Naan Pizza Crush one clove of garlic and add it to the tablespoon of EVOO. Microwave it for 20 seconds, while you slice or chop rainbow peppers. In that time, the olive oil will get infused with the garlic, after which, you can throw out the garlic.
Brush Naan with garlic infused olive oil. Spread about 1/3-1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese on the naan. Spread an even layer of keema on top. Add the sliced peppers and spread those around too. Sprinkle a pinch of cayenne per Naan and add chopped cilantro.
Bake the Naan pizzas in a 425 degrees pre-heated oven for about 8 minutes, or until the base is nicely toasted and the cheese has melted. Rest the Pizza for 5 minutes and slice it up and enjoy!