Chocolate Lava Cake is what happens when chocolate cake meets chocolate soufflé! Also, know as Molten Lave Cake, this popular dessert gets it’s name from the warm liquidy- velvety chocolate center, inside a moist and decadent cake. I won’t be surprised if this happens to be the world’s No.1 date-night dessert, it is mine!
In my home, it’s best served warm with some vanilla ice-cream! My kids’s latest favorite is to have with Salted Caramel Ice Cream! And the best part of this easy chocolate lava cake recipe is that it takes very little time to make.
Individual Size Lava Cakes
Since this is a decadent dessert, I like to make individual portions using these Silicone Cupcake Liners. These liners serve three great purposes in my home:
First, the silicone molds don’t get hot to the touch after baking, so handling is super easy, my kids bake with these often.
Second, taking the lava cakes out of these molds is a breeze. Simply, invert them on to your serving dish, and they slip out nice and easy.
Third, it does portion control for me. I take one, finish it and feel satisfied that I had a full dessert. This single serving cake looks tiny, but it is enough to satisfy my sweet tooth. After having one, I don’t feel like going for seconds, like I would be tempted to, if it were a cake:-)
Different Size Ramekins & Cook Times
The quantity of batter in this recipe will fit:
- 4 Silicone Cupcake molds; Pressure Cooking Time: 7 mins
- 4 3.5 oz. ramekins; Pressure Cooking Time: 7 mins
- 3 4 oz ramekins; Pressure Cooking Time: 8 mins
- 2 6 oz. ramekins. Pressure Cooking Time: 9 mins
These cook times are based on what works for my family. If you like a more cooked center, you can add another minute or two to get that consistency.
How to Prepare the Ramekins for Baking
If using ramekins for cooking the lava cakes, grease the inside with butter. Then, sprinkle about 1 teaspoon sugar, or, flour, and rotate and turn the ramekin till all sides get coated evenly. Discard the remaining sugar or flour.
I made this cake in my 6 qt Instant Pot DUO and it was really moist and delicious. But you can easily make this decadent dessert in the oven as well.
Oven Recipe for Chocolate Lava Cake
Pre-heat oven to 425°F. Follow step 1 and 2. Place the cakes on a cookie sheet and bake for 11-13 minutes, depending on how gooey you want the center to be. And viola, your chocolate lava cake is ready!
Flavor Variation: Salted Caramel Molten Lava Cakes
If you haven’t tried out Salted Caramel Molten Lava Cakes yet, you’re missing something! Try them, you might fall in love with them!
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback!
Chocolate Lava Cake in Instant Pot or Oven
- Vanilla Ice-cream or Salted Caramel Ice-Cream, or,
- Powdered sugar for dusting on top
- Melt butter and chocolate chips in the microwave, about 30 seconds to a minute. Using a whisk, mix well. Sift in confectioners sugar and mix again. Add egg, vanilla and salt and mix well. Sift in flour and whisk till everything is incorporated.
- Grease silicone cupcake molds or ramekins and pour the batter, leaving 1/4 inch space from the top.
- Put 1 cup water and place trivet in the Inner pot of the Instant Pot. Place cakes on trivet. Close lid. Set vent to SEALING.
- Cook on MANUAL (hi-pressure) for 7 minutes. If you like a less gooey center, increase time to 8-9 minutes.
- QR-quickly release the pressure and remove the cakes. Cool for 2 minutes. Invert the cakes into the serving plate and dust with confectioners sugar (optional). Serve warm as-is, or with a scoop of vanilla or your favorite ice-cream. Enjoy!
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F. Follow step 1 and 2. Place the cakes in the silicon cupcake molds on a cookie sheet and bake for 11-13 minutes, depending on how gooey you want the center to be. And viola, your 15-minute chocolate lava cake is ready!