Join me as I test recipes and review a super innovative kitchen gadget, Mealthy Crisplid. This compact lid turns your 6 and 8 qt electric pressure cooker into an Air Fryer! When placed on top of a Mealthy Multi Pot or any comparable pressure cooker, it can broil, crisp and air fry your food.
If you follow my blog, you know how much I love using my Instant Pot and Mealthy Multi Pot pressure cookers. I also added an extra-large size Air Fryer to my kitchen, and now with the Crisplid, I can officially declare my kitchen a 'Smart Kitchen':)
It took me a year to convince myself to make room for an Air Fryer (I love counter space). So, if you're still debating about getting an Air Fryer, and already own a pressure cooker, just hold on a bit and read this review. I'm sure you'll find it useful.
Disclosure: I received this product for review from Mealthy Company, but this is an unbiased review. The opinions and thoughts expressed here are my own.
What is a Crisplid
Crisplid is Mealthy's newest and most innovative product that converts any electric pressure cooker like Mealthy Multi Pot, or Instant Pot, into an air fryer.
With the Crisplid you can broil, crisp, and air fry directly in the steel pot of your electric pressure cooker. That’s what makes the Mealthy CrispLid such a game changer. And the best part, it is compatible with both, 6 and 8 quart sizes.
This compact unit has the following parts:
- Handle, which shuts off automatically when the lid is standing UP.
- Control panel, which comes with buttons marked with universal symbols for time, temperature, start and stop. You can use the +/- buttons to adjust both, time and temperature. It's memory remembers the last cooking temperature and time.
- Heating element, which heats up and cooks the food under it.
- Fan, that circulates air during cooking, maintaining a consistent temperature..
- Vents, that allows airflow and regulate temperature of the unit.
- Glass Lid, so you can watch the cooking progress of your food.
What's in the Crisplid Box
- Mealthy Crisplid: It is compatible with the 6qt and 8qt electric pressure cooker.
- Fryer Basket: A wire-mesh steel basket in which food is placed to air fry.
- 3-inch Raised Metal Trivet: You place the mesh basket on top of this trivet
- Stainless Steel Tongs: These tongs have a silicone tip and come in very handy to flip the food, and pull the basket out of the pot after air frying.
- Silicone Trivet/Mat: This silicone mat has been designed so you can place the hot Crisplid on it after cooking. This way you don't damage any surface or burn anything.
- Users Guide & Recipe Booklet: Very helpful and informative user guide, and some tried and tested recipes to get you started. In addition, the Mealthy mobile app has a variety of Crisplid recipes.
Where Can I Buy the Crisplid
Mealthy Crisplid is available in USA, Canada and India.
In the US, you can purchase the Crisplid from Mealthy Website or, you can buy it from Amazon using my affiliate link.
In Canada, you can buy it from Amazon Canada, and in India, you can purchase it from the Mealthy website here.
How Does Mealthy Crisplid Work
There are two ways of using the Crisplid, Crisping your pressure cooked food, or, Air frying your food in the mesh basket. Let's explore both options with examples. In both cases, you would place the Crisplid on top of your 6 or 8qt pressure cooker with a stainless steel insert only.
There are TWO SAFETY FEATURES built in the Crisplid which are important to understand.
First, the Crisplid won't turn ON unless the handle is down and locked. Once you put it down, you can set the temperature and time, then press START. The heating element turns off the minute you lift the handle.
Second, the Crisplid cooking temperature can go up to 500°F. To prevent the unit from overheating, at 450°F and beyond, the maximum cook time is set to 20 minutes. After that, you have to wait for 10 minutes before turning the unit on again.
Let's explore the two ways a Crisplid can be used:
1. Use it as an Air Fryer or Oven Broiler
This is the game changing feature that converts your pressure cooker in to an Air Fryer by using the Crisplid.
You start by placing the metal trivet in the stainless steel insert of your pressure cooker. Place your food in the mesh basket. Layer the food you need to grill evenly in a single layer. Don't over crowd the basket. (Picture 1)
Place the mesh basket on top of the trivet. Now place the Crisplid on. Move the handle down. Set the temperature and time and press start. An orange light turns on when you hit 'start'. (Picture 2).
Here are two examples:
Tandoori Fish Tikka
2. Crisping Food After Pressure Cooking
Mealthy Crisplid can be used to brown or crisp foods cooked in an electric pressure cooker, like Mealthy MultiPot or the Instant Pot.
A perfect example of this would be Lasagna. Earlier, after pressure cooking this lasagna in my Instant Pot, I used to transfer it under the oven broiler to brown the cheese on top.
Now, by simply replacing the pressure cooker lid with the Crisplid, I can brown the cheese on top without having to move the lasagna.
Another example of this is a French Toast Casserole. After pressure cooking it, I sprinkle some brown sugar and butter and crisp the top for a few minutes. Now, I can do that in the same pot, by placing the Crisplid on my pressure cooker.
Note: Always unplug the pressure cooker and then plug in the Crisplid.
How to Clean the Crisplid
All the accessories that come with the Crisplid, the trivet, basket, tongs and mat, are dishwasher safe. They can be also be washed by hand using regular dish soap.
The Crisplid can be wiped clean with a damp towel. The stainless steel part of the lid can get stained with the splatters of food and oil, just like your oven broiler heating element. You can use an abrasive damp towel to clean that, but few stains will remain. And that's ok.
Pros & Cons of Mealthy Crisplid
Whenever I get a kitchen gadget for reviewing, I like to use for a few recipes so I can review it like a user. After having used the Crisplid for a few months, here's what I think of it:
Pros of Mealthy Crisplid
- Comes with all useful accessories. You don't need to buy additional stuff as everything you need is right in the box. It includes a fryer basket, trivet, heat-resistant mat, and tongs.
- Fits a 6 and 8 qt pressure cooker pot. It has a unique lid design with grooves which makes it compatible with both, 6 and 8 quart, stainless steel pressure cooker inner pots.
- Works with Multi Pot AND Instant Pot: If you own a compatible electric pressure cooker, the Crisplid will work with that as well.
- Saves counter space: To me this is a big plus. Unlike a stand-alone air fryer, the Crisplid doesn't take up much room, and can be stowed away after use.
- Easy to Clean: All accessories that come with it are dishwasher safe. You can wipe the crisplid clean with a damp towel.
- Watch your food cooking: The see-through glass lid of the Crisplid allows you to see the progress of your food being cooked. This is very helpful, especially when you're trying out a new recipe, or need to eye-ball the results.
- Finish crisping your food right in your pressure cooker: If I've made a lasagna or a French Toast breakfast casserole, I can simply place the Crisplid on my Instant Pot or Multi Pot, and crisp the top without having to move anything.
- No Need to Turn on your oven: This can be a real advantage during summer time. you can crisp your food without heating up the whole house.
- Perfect for a small meal: If you're cooking for 2, or want to grill just a couple of chicken breast, Crisplid works great. It's compact, so it takes less time than an oven, plus there's minimum clean-up.
- Cheaper than a standalone Air Fryer: The Crisplid retails for around $60, which is cheaper than most entry level standalone air fryers.
Cons of Mealthy Crisplid
- Small Capacity: The Crisplid can replace your Air Fryer, but it certainly won't replace your oven. The reason for that is if you are cooking anything for 3 or more people, you'll have to make food in multiple batches. In that case, it is much easier for me to turn on my oven.
- Hot Lid: After cooking when I lift the Crisplid, I have to be extremely careful since the heating element is exposed till I place it on the silicone mat. In a house with children, one has to be extra careful that this hot lid is away from their reach, or anyone else's who might not know that it's hot.
- Limited Recipes Available: Since it's a relatively newer gadget, there isn't a wide variety of tried and tested recipes available online. That being said, the Mealthy App is a good resources for sure.
- Turning Over Food: One has to flip the food individually so it can get browned evenly on all sides. This is a bit time consuming as opposed to the ease of just shaking the fryer basket in a standalone air fryer.
- Only Works with Stainless Steel pots: You can only use the stainless steel insert of your pressure cooker with the Crisplid. No non-stick or ceramic inserts.
Which one to buy- Air Fryer or Crisplid
It's been a few months since I've been using my XL Magic Chef Air fryer, and the Mealthy Crisplid. I've made simultaneous batches of the same recipe in both devices, and the quality of food is the same.
So, do you need both devices? The answer is NO. But, when choosing between the two, it comes down to three factors- Usage, Quantity of Food and Counter Space.
Usage: If you're primarily buying it for crisping your pressure cooked food in the cooker, Crisplid is the only device that can do that right now. If you're buying it to use it like an Air Fryer, it is pretty comparable to small size Air Fryer.
Quantity: If you're cooking for 2-3 people, it's perfect for you. And much cheaper than a standalone air fryer. But if you're cooking for 4 or more, be prepared to do multiple batches. An XL size air fryer, or an oven works better for that quantity.
Counter Space: If you already own a standard size Air Fryer, I would say you don't need a Crisplid, UNLESS, you are looking to free up counter space. The lid is super compact as compared to the smallest size of a standalone air fryer.
Recipes I have made using Mealthy Crisplid
- Ravioli Lasagna (Crisping on top)
- Mediterranean Chicken
- Cajun Chicken
- Jerk Chicken
- Blackened Fish Tacos
- Tandoori Fish Tikka
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- French Toast Casserole (browning on top)
How to Buy the Crisplid
You can Purchase the Mealthy Crisplid from Mealthy Website here, Or, you can buy it from Amazon using my affiliate link.
|Exclusive $10 saving off the total purchase of $59.95 or greater, when you buy a Mealthy 2.0 Multipot on the Mealthy website. Use promo code: SPICECRAVINGS|
I hope you find this article useful and it helps you pick the right gadget for your home. If you have any questions, leave a comment on this page and I'll get back to you soon.
Leave a Reply