My go-to, no-brainer cocktail is a Gin Tonic. This classic and easy drink is light, refreshing, and perfect for any occasion. And the best part is, that it’s low-carb!
About a year ago, I had to switch to a low carb (carbohydrate) diet and I was bummed that I wouldn’t be able to enjoy my favorite cocktail. Since carbs suddenly became precious, I didn’t want to exhaust my daily allowance in drinks:-)
Well, they say that necessity is the mother of all new cocktails (if I may twist the phrase a bit). I tried several different options, including diet tonic (yuck) and using club soda instead.
Finally I came to this simple hack: start with a good quality Gin and just replace half the tonic with club soda, and you can barely tell the difference.
Fewer Carbs Than a Glass of Red Wine
In fact, with half the tonic, it turns out that a Gin Tonic has lower carbs and lower calories than a glass of red wine!
Each ounce of tonic water has about 2.5 grams of carbs. Gin has zero carbs. So, a regular Gin Tonic, with 3 ounces of tonic, is about 130 calories and 7.5 grams of carbs, all in the form of added sugar (as much carbs as half a slice of bread).
The recipe below has 1.5 ounces of tonic (one measure of the Standard Jigger) and 1 ounce of soda, leading to about 110 calories, but only 3.75 grams of carbs. A glass of red wine has about 125 calories and 3.8 grams of carbs. See, I told ya!
So, next time you have an urge for a Gin Tonic, try this no guilt, low carb, and lower calorie recipe. This is my favorite low carb cocktail.
By the way, my favorite Gin currently is “Rangpur Tanqueray“; if you haven’t tried it already, believe me its worth a shot.
Some of my other favorite cocktails
If you like my recipe for gin and tonic, you are likely to enjoy these drinks too. Cheers!:
This delicous is an Indian twist on a classic Mojito. It blends a popular Indian spice blend, called Jal Jeera, with mint, lime and a touch of tamarind chutney.
And for something warm for a cold evening or for sipping on the patio, nothing comes close to Mulled wine!
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! For more quick & easy recipes, FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Youtube.
Low Carb, No Guilt Gin Tonic Cocktail
- 1/3 cup ice : about 6-8 medium sized ice cubes
- 1.5 ounces gin : 1 standard jigger. I recommended Rangpur Tanqueray
- 1.5 ounces tonic water : 1 standard jigger. I recommended Fever Tree Tonic Water
- 1 ounces club soda or seltzer water : 2 measures of the small side of a standard jigger
- 1 lemon twist or 2 drops of lemon juice
- Put ice in a nice high-ball glass
- Use a standard jigger to add the gin, tonic and soda. I keep my gin in the freezer, so that its absolutely chilled and also use chilled tonic and soda.
- Twist and add a lemon peel or a full lemon slice to the glass. You can alternatively put a few drops of lemon juice.
- Stir gently and sip away!