This recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is hands down the easiest comfort food recipe ever.
This recipe is the perfect combination of earthy, zesty and creamy. This powerhouse of flavors is an all-season Tex-Mex delight!
Chili powder, cumin, coriander and fire-roasted tomatoes provide an intense earthy flavor to the broth, which contrasts so beautifully with the soft tender chicken, creamy beans and sweet corn.
A squeeze of lime before serving takes it over the top. This super easy and delicious soup is the perfect finale to any day!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup is a traditional Mexican soup, in which the broth is simmered with tomato, onions, garlic and spices. Beans and chicken are cooked in this broth, till the chicken is falling apart tender. It is typically served with deep-fried strips of corn tortilla.
In my pour-and-start recipe, I put all the ingredients in, turn on my Instant Pot and set it to cook for 8 minutes. It takes around 10 minutes for the pot to come to pressure, 8 minutes to cook, after which I let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes.
I manually release the remaining pressure, garnish with cilantro and lime, and just like that, dinner is ready in under 30 minutes!
This easy authentic Mexican chicken tortilla soup recipe is part of my fill-it-forget-it meal series.
What I love most about Mexican food is the variety of garnishing choices.
It works out really great in a household like mine, where one kid loves sour-cream and the other one absolutely hates it 🙂
Everyone picks their garnishes straight from the fridge. Shredded cheese, sour cream, pickled jalapeños, chopped avocados are some popular choices.
And of course, we all love crushing some tortilla chips in our creamy chicken tortilla soup. It’s a total stress-buster meal for us 🙂
If you like spicy chicken tortilla soup, you can add some cayenne while cooking or some hot sauce or sriracha on top.
Stove-Top Recipe for this Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Don’t have a pressure cooker, no problem! It is as easy and simple to make this delicious soup on the stove too.
Start by placing a tall stock pot on medium-high heat.
Add all the ingredients to the pot, give it a stir and let it come to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium, and let it cook for around 20 minutes. That’s about the time it takes for the chicken to become shreddable.
Once its done, turn off the heat, shred your chicken, add it back to the pot and serve with your choice of garnish.
Short Video for Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
If video does not show, please disable your ad-blocker.
More Soup Recipes from My Kitchen
Weeknight Black Bean Chili in Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken Chili
More Mexican Recipes
My family loves eating Mexican food and being in California, we get some of the best Mexican dishes. Here is my take on some of our favorite dishes:
3 ingredient instant pot salsa chicken
Instant Pot Pulled Chicken Fajita Tacos
Arroz Con Leche Instant pot
|Veggie Bean Burger|
★Rate this Recipe
If you tried this recipe, please give a star ★ rating. Simply click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes chopped
- 1.5 cup frozen corn
- 15 oz black beans (1 CAN rinsed and drained)
- 1 lb chicken breast sliced through the middle (around 1 pound)
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 32 oz chicken broth low sodium
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1 rib celery chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- If the chicken breasts are too thick, slice them through the middle. This is optional, but I find the chicken to be more flavorful this way. Rinse and drain canned beans.
- Let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes (NPR 5), then release remaining pressure manually (QR). Once the pin drops, open lid.
- Remove chicken breasts and shred them using two forks. Put them back in the soup. Add chopped cilantro, squeeze a lime and top with your favorite toppings- cheese, sour cream, avocado and tortilla chips!
- Start by placing a tall stock pot on medium-high heat. Add all the ingredients to the pot, give it a stir and let it come to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and let it cook for around 20 minutes. That’s about the time it takes for the chicken to become shreddable.
- Once its done, turn off the heat, shred your chicken, add it back to the pot and serve with your choice of garnish.