This dump and start Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is hands down the easiest comfort food recipe ever. Tender chicken, fire roasted tomatoes, creamy beans and sweet corn come together in this earthy and zesty recipe. Enjoy this gluten-free Tex-Mex delight from scratch, in under 30 minutes!
30-Minute Dump & Start Recipe- Perfect for Weeknights
You will be amazed at how flavorful this soup gets in just 30 minutes. The fact that I can dump all the ingredients in my Instant Pot and let it make dinner makes it a total stress-buster meal for me, especially on weeknights.
This soup is one powerhouse of flavors. Chili powder, cumin, coriander and fire-roasted tomatoes provide an intense smoky and earthy flavor to the broth, which contrasts so beautifully with the soft chicken, creamy beans and sweet corn.
Crisp tortilla chips crushed right in your bowl give it a bite, and a squeeze of lime before serving takes it over the top. This super easy and delicious soup is the perfect finale to any day!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
I manually release the remaining pressure, garnish with cilantro and lime, and just like that, dinner is ready in under 30 minutes!
This easy authentic Mexican chicken tortilla soup recipe is part of my dump and start one pot meal series.
Garnish Choices for Chicken Tortilla Soup
What I love most about Mexican food is the variety of garnishing choices. It works out really great in a household like mine, where one kid loves sour-cream and the other one absolutely hates it 🙂
Everyone picks their garnishes straight from the fridge. Shredded cheese, sour cream, pickled jalapeños, chopped avocados are some popular choices.
And of course, our favorite garnish is tortilla chips. I love to serve them on the side and we all crush them in our soup bowls just before eating. The chips become slightly tender, but still retain a bite and give this soup it’s iconic taste.
If you like spicy chicken tortilla soup, you can add some cayenne while cooking or some hot sauce or sriracha on top.
Stove-Top Recipe for this Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Don’t have a pressure cooker, no problem! It is as easy and simple to make this delicious and healthy soup on the stove too.
Start by placing a tall stock pot on medium-high heat.
Add all the ingredients to the pot, give it a stir and let it come to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium, and let it cook for around 20 minutes. That’s about the time it takes for the chicken to cook through and become shreddable.
Once its done, turn off the heat, shred your chicken, add it back to the pot. Serve with your choice of garnish. I like to serve tortilla chips on the side, so we can crush them in just before eating.
More Soup Recipes from My Kitchen
Here are some popular INSTANT POT SOUP Recipes on the blog:
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Corn Chicken Chowder soup
- Thai Red Curry Soup
- Moroccan Chickpea Soup
Tex-Mex Recipes from my Kitchen
My family loves eating Mexican food. Being in California, we get some of the best Cal-Mex dishes. Here is my take on some of our favorites. All these recipes are GLUTEN-FREE :
- Black Bean Chili (vegan)
- Easy Chicken Chili
- Mexican Rice
- Creamy Black Beans
- Carnitas Tacos (Mexican Pulled Pork)
- Salsa Chicken Tacos
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes Diced, 14.5oz can
- 1.5 cup frozen corn
- 15 oz black beans (1 CAN rinsed and drained)
- 1 lb chicken breast sliced through the middle (around 1 pound)
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 32 oz chicken broth low sodium
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1 rib celery chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Handful of Tortilla Chips
- If the chicken breasts are too thick, slice them through the middle. This is optional, but I find the chicken to be more flavorful this way. Rinse and drain canned beans.
- Let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes (NPR 5), then release remaining pressure manually (QR). Once the pin drops, open lid.
- Remove chicken breasts and shred them using two forks. Put them back in the soup. Add chopped cilantro, squeeze a lime and top with your favorite toppings- cheese, sour cream, avocado and tortilla chips!
- Start by placing a tall stock pot on medium-high heat. Add all the ingredients to the pot, give it a stir and let it come to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and let it cook for around 20 minutes. That’s about the time it takes for the chicken to become shreddable.
- Once its done, turn off the heat, shred your chicken, add it back to the pot and serve with your choice of garnish.