If there was ever a contest for the Easiest Instant Pot Dinner, this recipe for 3-ingredient Instant Pot Salsa Chicken would win hands down! The only prep I do is open a packet of Taco Seasoning and a jar of my favorite Salsa!
I pressure cook the chicken in the Instant Pot, which means no mess or extra dishes to clean. I shred the chicken and load it up on soft warm corn tortillas and dinner is ready! Just like that!
The chicken is so juicy and flavorful that you don't even need any condiments or toppings with this recipe.
Only 3 Ingredients in this Chicken Recipe
This Tex-Mex recipe comes together with just 3 ingredients: Chicken, Taco seasoning and Salsa. I like using chicken breast for this recipe, but chicken thighs work just as well.
I love using Trader Joe's Taco Seasoning Mix for this recipe. This seasoning has a bit of a kick to it, which my family really enjoys, but you can use your favorite Taco seasoning blend for this recipe.
I also have a homemade taco seasoning recipe in the recipe card below. You can customize it to you liking.
I use Salsa Autentica from Trader Joe's. This is a slightly sweet salsa, due to which this combination works really well. The salsa balances the heat in the Taco Seasoning really well.
How to Make Salsa Chicken in Instant Pot
Don't you love recipes that comes together in a flash and the family ends up loving them? This one's a keeper!
All you have to do is add water, layer chicken, season it, top it with salsa and close the lid... in that order. Set an 8 minute pressure cook time and walk away, paint your nails, run an errand, pick up the kids....whatever you want to do.
It takes around 10 minutes for it to come to pressure, 8 minutes to cook and around 10 minutes of NPR time, so, dinner is served in under 30 minutes.
This is how I Make Salsa Chicken in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Add water in the pot
Season one side of chicken
Add seasoned side down
Season this side
Mix salsa & seasoning
Pour over chicken
Set cook time!
Multiple Uses for 3-ingredient Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
Once you pressure cook the chicken, you can choose to eat it as an entrée, or, shred it and using it in a variety of dishes. I use this shredded chicken for Tacos, Enchiladas, Quesadillas, Tortilla Soup, Pizzas, Pulled Chicken Sliders or even for Taco Salad.
Low Carb Salsa Chicken Dinner
If you choose to have it as it is, make a side-salad with chopped cucumbers, red onions, avocados and cherry tomatoes. Dress it up with fresh lime juice, a dash of paprika, salt & pepper and enjoy a delicious low-carb dinner!
Stovetop Chicken Taco Recipe
This recipe can be made in any pressure cooker as well. You can do this on the stove-top as well.
- I heat a heavy bottom sauce pan on medium high heat. I add water, layer chicken, season it, and top it with salsa.
- When everything starts bubbling, I reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 15 minutes, or till chicken is fully cooked. Keep stirring every few minutes to prevent the salsa from scorching the pan.
Variation: Pulled Chicken Fajita Tacos
If you want to jazz up this 3-ingredient Instant Pot Salsa Chicken, try my recipe for Pulled Chicken Fajita Tacos. The crunch and sautéed peppers and onions add a whole new flavor dimension to this Salsa chicken. These are always on my Game-day menu, either as tacos, or as sliders!
3-Ingredient Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Tacos
- Turn on Instant Pot. Add ¼ cup water. Season one side of the chicken breasts with about 2-3 teaspoons of Taco seasoning and add them into the instant pot, seasoned side down. Season on the other side with 2-3 teaspoons of Taco seasoning.
- In a bowl, mix salsa with the remaining taco seasoning. Pour over the chicken, coating the chicken with the salsa mix. Close the lid. Vent set to Sealing. Cook for 8 minutes on Manual or Pressure Cook.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes (NPR 10). Open lid. Using two forks, shred the chicken in the pot . Mix well. This shredded chicken can be used for Tacos, Enchiladas, Quesadillas, Tortilla Soup, Pizzas or even for Taco Salad.
Taco Seasoning Recipe
- I use Trader Joe's Taco Seasoning mix. It is a bit on the spicier side. If you want to make it mild, you can substitute with: 2 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1.5 tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 tsp brown sugar.
- Heat a heavy bottom sauce pan on medium high heat. Add water, layer chicken, season it, and top it with salsa.
- When the sauce starts bubbling, I reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 15 minutes, or till chicken is fully cooked. Keep stirring every few minutes to prevent the salsa from scorching the pan.