Besan Ladoo is a popular Indian sweet made by roasting besan (chickpea flour) with ghee, flavored with sugar & cardamom, and rolled into spherical little fudge balls, called Ladoo (or Laddu). Here’s my 30-minute quick and easy microwave recipe!
The texture of Besan Ladoo is somewhere in between creamy and chewy, which are two great qualities to have in a one dessert 🙂
It one of the popular sweets to make for festivities like Holi, Diwali, and kids simply love this dessert. Here is my super quick and easy recipe using the gadget that I can’t imagine life without- the microwave.
I reduce the cooking time for this dessert to a third by using the microwave and it also makes it almost fail-proof. It’s a convenient way for anyone to make this delicious sweet without having to spend a few hours making it!
My kids love making it, it’s that easy! Since the total time needed to make these ladoos is under 30 minutes (including cooling time), it makes it easy enough to pull through after a work day, especially when festivities fall on a week-day.
Key Ingredients for Making Besan ladoo
I used coarse besan or chickpea flour for this recipe, which is also available as “Ladoo Besan”. If you only have the fine besan handy, take out 1 tbsp from the 1 cup required for this recipe, and substitute it with 1 tbsp semolina (soozi). This will add the crunch to the texture.
Besan Ladoo Recipe Using the Microwave
Traditionally, it is made by roasting the besan in ghee on slow heat, till the besan changes color from dark yellow to a light golden brown. Depending on the quantity of besan, this process can take up to 30 minutes and requires continuous stirring.By using the microwave, I have eliminated the long and tedious process with an ‘under 5 minute’ cooking time in the microwave and few more minutes rolling the ladoos.
Microwave Cooking Technique
The time to roast besan in the microwave is anywhere between 3-5 minutes. The actual time for you will depend on the strength of your microwave.
So, I would say, after the 3 minute mark, keep an eye on the Besan. Do increments of 30 seconds or 45 seconds if you feel it’s getting done too soon. Stir it well each time. This is really important to distribute the heat evenly.
For me, the sweet spot is around the 4-minute mark.
How To Tell When Besan is Done?
I use two signs to confirm that besan is roasted enough. First, the color or besan darkens to medium golden brown. And second, you can start smelling a sweet aroma in the whole house.
I remember when I was a kid, whenever my Mom made these ladoo, she would keep coming to our room to ask if my sister and I could smell the Besan. You know what, it still works for me:-) I’m sharing this quick and easy recipe hoping you’ll enjoy it as much as we do!
Great For Making Ahead and Potlucks
This recipe is great for potlucks and parties because:
✓ It can be made ahead and stored for weeks
✓ It takes 30-minutes to make these ladoos (including 15-20 mins cooling time)
✓ Its Vegetarian, Gluten-Free & Vegan
✓ Can be made Nut-Free by skipping nuts
✓ Besan Ladoos are bite-size finger food, easy to eat and serve
✓ Ladoos taste DELICIOUS!
Whenever I am hosting friends for an Indian festival, I make this recipe a week ahead and the ladoos taste amazing. Its a bite-size portion ladoo, so makes for easy finger-food, no extra utensils needed to eat this.
More Indian Desserts to Enjoy
Here are some other Indian desserts that I love to make and my family really enjoys.
Sooji Sheera (Semolina Pudding)
Kesar Badam Halwa
10-Minute Coconut Laddoo
Deep Fried Gujiya
Gajar Burfi (Carrot Fudge)
Gajar ka Halwa
Kheer, Rice Pudding
Nankhatai (Almond Spice Cookies)
★ Did you try this recipe? We love your feedback! Please click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to rate!
This is a 30-minute microwave recipe for Besan Ladoo or Laddu, which is a Indian sweet made of besan (chickpea flour or gram flour), sugar & ghee (clarified butter).
- Prep: if using nuts, chop your favorite nuts. I use pistachios and almonds. Keep 1 tablespoon aside for garnish.
- Take a microwave safe bowl and melt ghee, about 30-40 seconds. Add coarse Besan and salt and mix well. If you are using fine ground Besan, remove 1 tablespoon from the quantity and replace it with 1 tablespoon soozi (semolina). Mix everything till the Besan has absorbed all the ghee.
- Microwave on the default setting for 3-5 minutes, depending on the temperature range of your microwave. During these 3-5 minutes, take the mix out every minute, (or every 30 seconds if you microwave is strong), and stir well. It is done cooking when the mix changes to a light golden color and the fragrance of Besan becomes strong. Add chopped nuts (optional) and let it cool for 20-30 minutes.
- The mix should be cool to the touch. Add confectioners sugar and cardamom powder and mix till the sugar is incorporated well. Check if the mix can bind well by pressing between your fingers. If it feels too crumbly, add a tablespoon or so of dry milk powder to bind it.
- To make ladoos, take a small portion of the mix (you can use a cookie spoon for this) and roll it in your hands to shape it like a ball. This is the part where watching the video will be helpful. I have demonstrated two techniques of rolling the ladoos, so choose whichever one is most convenient. Once the ladoo is formed, top it with the reserved chopped nuts and plate it.
Note: The nutrition facts below are my estimates. If you are following any diet plan, I recommend cross-checking with your preferred nutrition calculator.