Matar chaat or Matra Chaat, an Indian spiced pigeon peas dip, is one of the most popular street foods in New Delhi. Here’s an easy pressure cooker recipe for this delicious vegan and gluten-free delight that’s perfect as a dip, and makes for a light and refreshing lunch!
What is Matar Chaat?
Matar Chaat, or Matara Chole are cooked white peas, or pigeon peas that are tossed with onion, tomato, cilantro, and seasoned with tangy Indian spices, and lime juice. It is literally a party in your mouth!
Great Appetizer or a Light Lunch
This lip-smacking dish is typically enjoyed as chaat, which means snack in Hindi, and, it also makes for a light and fulfilling meal, when served with a side of Kulcha, a delicious Indian flat bread, or Naan.
A popular variation in my home is to serve this tasty vegan dish as a dip for crackers or pita chips.
Dump & Start Instant Pot Recipe
In this simple dump-and-start recipe, I cook the pre-soaked dry white peas with mild Indian spices. My electrical pressure cooker, Instant Pot, comes in very handy here, as it reduces the cooking time considerably, and I don’t have to baby-sit it while it’s cooking.
I toss the cooked peas with chopped onions, tomato, and cilantro, and season it with tangy chaat masala, roasted cumin and freshly squeezed lime juice. With a dash of cayenne, the flavors combinations in this dip are just mind-blowing.
Protein & Fiber-Rich, Vegan & Gluten-Free
Dry White Peas, or whole Pigeon Peas, belong to the family of legumes, and carry the same great advantages of being high in fiber and protein. They are naturally vegan and gluten-free too. White Peas are somewhat similar in looks and texture to Chickpeas.
There are two varieties of Dry White Peas, white (more like beige), and green. I prefer the taste of the white ones as they tend to be more on the creamier side. But this recipe can be made with dried Green Peas as well.
How to Make Matar Chaat in Instant Pot
Just like chickpeas, White Peas also have to be rehydrated before cooking. Soaking them overnight allows them to rehydrate and also shortens the cooking process. I pressure cook these in my Instant Pot, and they are perfect when cooked for 15 minutes on Bean/Chili mode.
Here are the Step by Step Instructions
- Pressure cook pre-soaked peas
- Add chopped onion
- Then add chopped, de-seeded tomato
- Finally add chopped cilantro
- Some fresh lemon/lime juice
- Add spices
- Toss gently, mixing everything together
- Serve as an appetizer or main meal
Pressure cook pre-soaked peas
Add chopped onion
Then add chopped, de-seeded tomato
Finally add chopped cilantro
Some fresh lemon/lime juice
Toss gently, mixing everything together
Serve as an appetizer or main meal
Matar Chaat Dip
I like to serve Matar Chaat as a dip with pita chips or crackers. It can also be served with carrot and cucumber slices for a healthier lower-carb snack.
Matar Kulcha- Easy Weeknight Dinner
This is a popular weeknight dinner in my home. I make a pot of Matar chaat, and serve it alongside store-bought Kulcha, a delicious flatbread made with all-purpose flour, or Naan.
Matar Chaat goes really well with toasted or warmed sourdough bread as well. I find the taste of sourdough bread to be very similar to the fermented tangy taste of a ‘kulcha’!
Variation: Ragda Patties (Popular Mumbai Street Food)
Ragda Patties, or Pattice, is an extremely popular street food in Mumbai. Like Matar Chaat, it is also made with dry white peas, and is served alongside pan-fried potato tikki (patties). ‘Ragda’ refers to the white peas curry, and ‘Patties’ refers to the potato tikki.
How to Make Ragda Patties in Instant Pot
You can make Ragda using this recipe, in your pressure cooker. The only change you need to make is, adding more water, since Ragda has a more curry-like consistency. So, adding 2 cups of water for 1 cup of soaked white peas works great.
As for Patties, or the Aloo Tikki, if you have the time, simply boil some potatoes, mash them, season them with salt, cumin, cayenne and form golf-ball size firm discs.
Heat a skillet on medium-high heat, and pan fry them, with very little oil, till they turn golden brown in the middle. A great short-cut is to use store-bought frozen hash-brown patties!
Instant Pot Recipe for Mumbai-Style Ragda Pattice
Here is an easy step-by-step Instant Pot recipe for Ragda Pattice, Mumbai-Style. My friend and fellow blogger, Archana from Ministry of Curry has graciously shared her family recipe with us. Get the Recipe!
How to Serve Ragda Patties
To serve Ragda Patties, place 2 potato patties on a plate and top with a generous ladle full of Ragda (white peas curry). Now, top that with Cilantro Chutney, Date-Tamarind chutney, chaat masala and some chopped onion, tomato, sliced ginger and chopped cilantro. Sprinkle in some bhujia or sev (crunchy gram flour noodles) on top and enjoy this delicious snack.
Popular Indian Recipes for your Instant Pot
Pigeon Peas Dip | Matar Chaat in Instant Pot
Pressure Cook Peas
Dressing for chaat/dip
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion : about 1/4 large onion
- 1/4 cup tomato de-seeded and finely chopped : about 1 Roma tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lime juiced. Adjust based on size and juiciness of lemon/lime
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 1 tbsp ginger about 1 inch pc, julienned (optional)
- Soak the peas: Rinse white peas 2-3 times. Soak them in 3 cups of water, overnight, or for 8 hours.
- Pressure cook peas: Rinse out the peas and pressure cook them with fresh water and ingredients listed under “pressure cook” section. Quick tip: adding warm water shortens the time it takes for the pot to come to pressure. Cook them in the instant pot on bean mode for 15 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally (NPR).
- Dress them up: Open the lid and let them cool for 10 minutes, uncovered. Add chopped onions, tomatoes, cilantro and seasonings. Gently mix everything together. Serve as an appetizer with pita chips or with cucumber slices. Alternatively, serve with Naan, kulcha or toasted sourdough bread for a fulfilling main meal.
Notes & Recipe Tips
- Ragda: To make Ragda-Patties, increase the water quantity to 2 cups while pressure cooking white peas.
- Dinner portion: If you want to serve it with a side of Naan or Kulcha, this quantity will serve 4-5 people.
- Nutrition estimate: The nutrition facts are based on this dish being used a dip.
- Total time: Soaking: 8 hours, Prep: 10 mins, Pressure Build-up: 10 mins, Pressure cook: 15 mins, NPR: 15 mins.
- This recipe has been tested in a 3qt and 6 qt Instant Pot.
- If you are new to the Instant Pot, please read my FAQ on Instant Pot Terminology and Accessories to learn more.