Creamy brie coated in cranberry sauce, wrapped in puff pastry & baked till its golden brown on the outside, and melted and gooey on the inside. This Baked Brie is one of the easiest and tastiest appetizers recipe.
Whenever I am hosting a party, especially during the holidays, I look for easy recipes that take little time, yet have the wow factor. This baked brie recipe is one of those aces up my sleeve. It takes me 5 minutes to put it together, the oven does the rest of the work, and when I take it out, it draws everyone to it. It’s a great conversation starter too!
Great Prep-Ahead Appetizer Recipe
Hosting a party should never be stressful, and to achieve that I plan my menu with recipes where the prep or part of the cooking can be done ahead of time. This recipe fits the bill perfectly.
I prep the brie in puff pastry and refrigerate it 3-4 hours ahead of the party, or a day ahead. Meanwhile, I prepare the serving platter with fruit and crackers. Then, about 40 minutes before my guests are expected to arrive, I bake it in a pre-heated oven for about 30 mins. I take it out, and set it up with my prepared platter with crackers and fruit. That simple!
Baked Brie Cheese Variations
In this recipe, I make baked brie with cranberry sauce. I always make a few extra jars of cranberry sauce when they are in season. I fill up a few mason jars, and either can them, or store them in the freezer. They come in real handy for cheese platters, and of course, baked brie!
This recipe for Baked Brie is pretty versatile, so you can use your favorite kind of fruit spread instead of cranberry sauce. Some other popular flavors in my home include fig jam, strawberry preserves, mixed berry jam, caramelized onions, and believe it or not, my homemade apple-pie filling 🙂 You get the idea!
Vegetarian Substitute for Egg Wash
This recipe uses 3 essential ingredients that are vegetarian, Puff Pastry, Cranberry Sauce and Brie Cheese.
Once I assemble the brie wheel in puff pastry sheet, I brush the puff pastry with egg wash to get a golden brown crispy shell.
If you want to skip the egg and want to make this 100% vegetarian, you can melt 1 tbsp butter + 2 tsp milk and brush the pastry with that.
How To Make Baked Brie in Puff Pastry
Making this yummy appetizer is a quick and real easy process with only 4-ingredients.
Unroll and lay flat a store-bought puff pastry sheet on a parchment lined baking sheet. Spread 1/4-1/3 cup fruit jam ( I use cranberry sauce). Place the brie wheel on top.
Spread another 1/4-1/3 cup fruit spread on top of the brie. Beat an egg with a little water to make egg wash. Brush the puff pastry around the brie with egg wash.
Fold the pastry sheet corners over the brie, just like you would wrap a present. Gently press down on all sides to ensure it is sealed.
Brush egg wash on, and around the top. Using another parchment paper, invert the wheel so the smooth side is facing up. Brush with egg wash and bake at 400°F for about 30-35 mins, or till golden brown.
You May Also Like These Recipes
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback!
Baked Brie in Puff Pastry
- 8 oz Brie Cheese Wheel
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry
- 2/3 cup cranberry sauce
Egg wash (use 1 tbsp butter + 2 tsp milk for vegetarian alternative)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp water
- Thaw a store-bought frozen puff pastry sheet, in the refrigerator overnight. That helps it thaw gradually. Unroll and lay it flat on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Spread 1/4-1/3 cup fruit spread ( I use cranberry sauce). Place the brie wheel on top. Top with another 1/4-1/3 cup of fruit spread.
- Beat the egg with a little water to make egg wash. Brush the puff pastry around the brie with egg wash.
- Fold the pastry sheet corners over the brie, just like you would wrap a present. Gently press down on all sides to ensure it is sealed.
- Brush egg wash on and around the top. Using another parchment paper, invert the wheel so the smooth side is facing up. Brush with egg wash and bake at 400°F for about 30-35 mins, or till golden brown.
- Rest the brie wheel for 5-10 minutes before slicing. If you want a more lava-like cheese texture, then 5 minutes should be enough. But for a firmer texture, wait 10 minutes.