Instant Pot Egg Bites or Frittata Muffins are a bite of comfort early in the morning! They are warm, fluffy, flavorful and nutritious eggs bites that are shaped like muffins. And they are gluten-free.
10 minutes of prep, 5 minutes of cooking. Cooking these is a 1-2-3 process– Beat eggs, top with your favorite mix-ins, cook them for 5 minutes in the Instant Pot– breakfast couldn’t get any easier than this!
Eggs are the number one choice of breakfast foods in my home. Growing up, omelet-sandwiches were a staple breakfast for school mornings. Sometimes, mom would add a variety of fine-diced vegetables in it and give it to us for lunch.
It’s a perfect meal. Its packed with protein and nutrients and keeps you full, and going for hours. In this recipe, I will show you how to make frittata muffins, also called egg bites, in an Instant Pot, or an oven. I also have a super simple Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs recipe.
Frittata Muffins/Egg Bites in the Oven:
So what is a Frittata? Frittata is an Italian egg-based dish similar to a quiche without the crust. It’s made by mixing the egg mixture with meats, cheeses, vegetables or even pasta
My family is crazy about frittatas! We make ‘muffin size’ egg bites for week mornings, and then go all out on Saturdays. We usually bake these in the oven for about 22 minutes at 350F, but have started cooking them in our Instant Pot now.
Hit Flavors of Egg Bites in my Home:
We make all kinds of variations of egg bites in my home. Here are some popular flavors that are on repeat menu:
Mediterranean Frittata, with Feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh basil;
Indian Frittatas– with fine diced onions, peppers and tomatoes, seasoned with cumin and cayenne;
Sometimes, left-over mac’n’cheese makes it in a Mac’n’Cheese Frittata;
And then, there is the Anniversary Special, which is a Crispy Potato Frittata. This is one of my all-time favorites, so, my husband makes this for breakfast on our anniversary, every year… well, almost every year:-)
The great thing about these egg bites is that everyone gets to customize it their way.
It takes me roughly 5-7 minutes prep to chop up some baby spinach, sun dried tomatoes, green onions and broccoli. I always have some pre-cooked bacon or sausage in my fridge (part of my weekend prep), which comes in handy for a quick flavor booster to eggs and soups. So, assembling these egg bites, really takes under 10 minutes.
Here’s are the 5 flavors that are on repeat in my home :
- Mediterranean– Feta cheese, Sun dried tomatoes, chopped baby spinach
- Corn & Jack– Frozen corn, chopped or shredded Pepper jack cheese, chopped green onions
- Bacon & Cheese– Chopped, pre-cooked Bacon, Mexican 3-cheese blend shredded cheese
- Spinach & Bacon– Chopped baby spinach, chopped pre-cooked bacon and chopped green onions for a mild onion flavor
- Broccoli & Cheddar- Chopped fresh broccoli and freshly grated white cheddar and gruyere combination
Making Egg Bites in the Instant Pot
The Frittata Muffins turn out so moist, and stay moist for re-heating and eating. 10 minutes of prep and 5 minutes of cooking- how easy is that! They are a great make-aheads for the week, or, for a brunch gathering. I assemble them in Silicone Cupcake Muffin Molds, my new favorite kitchen accessories.
Another great alternative that I started using recently is the 7-Cavity Silicone Mold Muffin Pudding Mold. You don’t need to grease them, but I like to spray them lightly with a coconut oil baking spray and the muffins come out so easily!
3-Step process to put these flavor bites together:
- Beat the eggs with seasoning and a little milk. I personally use a good old fork to beat the eggs, but my kids love this handheld electric Egg Whisk. It beats the eggs nice and fluffy without having to learn the ’tilt-the-bowl’ technique as with a fork. You can also use this little gadget for frothing your milk for lattes and cappuccinos. I have to say, I’m kinda falling for it:-) After beating the eggs, you divide them evenly in the silicone cups.
- Top with your favorite mix-ins. You can customize your own, since these are small individual portions.
- Cook in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes. Manually release the pressure and you’re done.
Chop mix-ins, whisk eggs, milk & seasoning
Pour egg mix in silicone molds
Top with your favorite mix-ins
Place silicone molds on trivet
Pour water in pot, lower trivet in
Pressure cook for 5 mins, QR and ENJOY!
If you’re using the 7 Cavity Silicone Mold Muffin Pudding Mold, the timing remains the same. Here’s how you assemble them:
Mix egg, milk, broccoli and seasonings
Pour into molds
Top with cheese
Pressure cook for 5 mins, QR
Wait 2 mins and invert mold into a plate
Enjoy your egg bites!
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback! Please click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to rate!
Instant Pot Egg Bites or Frittata Muffins are a bite of comfort early in the morning! They are warm, fluffy, flavorful and nutritious eggs bites that are shaped like muffins. 5 minutes of prep, 5 minutes of cooking. Cooking these is a 1-2-3 process! That Simple and delicious!
- 1 teaspoon crumbled Feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon Sun-Dried Tomatoes chopped
- 2 teaspoons baby spinach chopped
- 1 teaspoon frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon pepper jack cheese shredded or chopped
- 1 teaspoon green onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped pre-cooked bacon
- 1 teaspoon Mexican 3-cheese blend
- 2 teaspoons chopped baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon chopped pre-cooked bacon
- 1 teaspoon green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar and gruyere cheese
- Prep: Chop your favorite mix-ins. Using a fork or an electric egg whisk, beat the eggs with seasoning and a little milk.
- After beating the eggs, divide them evenly in the Silicone Cupcake Molds, leaving 1/4 inch from the top, since the egg muffins will rise. Top with your favorite mix-ins.
- Turn on Instant Pot (see instant pot FAQ). Pour 1 cup water in the Inner pot. Place the cupcake molds on the trivet and carefully lower it in the inner pot. Close the lid. Set the vent to Sealing. Cook on Manual for 5 minutes. Manually release pressure by turning the pressure valve to 'Venting' position (QR).
- Re-heating: Simply pop in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, depending on how strong your microwave is.
Note: The nutrition facts below are my estimates. If you are following any diet plan, I recommend cross-checking with your preferred nutrition calculator.