Soft, spongy, melt-in-your-mouth Rava Idli is a real favorite with my kids. Rava Idli, which is made with semolina flour called Rava, is a variation of the popular south-Indian breakfast recipe called 'Idli' (steamed rice & lentil cakes).
Super easy to make, this easy breakfast recipe or snack recipe needs no grinding or fermenting, and comes together in 30 minutes, with only 5-7 minutes of active cooking time. I made this rava idli recipe in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot, using my newest kitchen toy, Silicone Molds. These molds work great for a variety of recipes including, eggs-bites, mini lava cakes and more. I love it when a kitchen accessory can be used for multiple recipes!
Kids Love it:
I mix in some frozen corn, frozen peas, chopped carrots, and chopped cashews into the idli mix, to give the idlis a bite and bump up their nutritional content. This combination and small size of each idli makes it a great snack or school lunch option for kids.
Serving suggestion for Rava Idli:
Rava Idli can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch or snack. In my house, we each have a different 'favorite' condiment to enjoy it with. We have it with ginger chutney, coconut chutney, cilantro-mint chutney, and ketchup... yes, ketchup:-)
How to put together this easy Rava Idli Recipe
|Mix idli ingredients, keep aside for 15 mins||Turn on SAUTE and add water|
|Grease idli mold||Prepare tempering|
|Turn off heat||Add to idli batter|
|Mix well||Add ENO fruit salt and mix gently|
|Place tray on trivet and lower in pot||Stack the second tray on top, steam for 12 mins|
|Cool for 2-3 mins||Enjoy Rava Idli with your favorite chutney!|
Poha: Another Indian Breakfast Recipe
Another easy Indian breakfast recipe with my kids is "poha". Poha, which is made with flattened dry rice and is popular in many places in North India. Check out my vegetarian instant pot poha recipe, in which I substituted flattened rice (poha) with Quinoa. Quinoa adds protein and fiber to this already nutritious dish, and is gluten-free.
★ Rate this Recipe
If you tried this recipe, please give a star ★ rating. Simply click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Rava Idli Recipe
Idli mix (Mix the following ingredients and keep aside for 15 mins)
- 1 cup Rava (Sooji / Semolina)
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup water
- ¾-1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste- I add ¾
You can customize the following ingredients to your liking
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews or peanuts
- 2 tablespoons frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped carrots chop them about the size of peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon finely grated ginger OR, ½ teaspoon dry ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
To be added just before cooking
- ¾ teaspoon Eno Fruit Salt
- Prep: In a large bowl, add all ingredients listed under 'Idli Mix', and mix well. Keep aside for 15 minutes while you prep the instant pot and molds. Add 2 cups of water in the inner pot and turn on SAUTE (high), so that the water comes up to a boil. Grease the silicone molds or Idli steamer lightly, using PAM cooking spray or ghee. Keep aside.
- Prepare tempering: Heat a fry-pan on medium-high heat. Add all ingredients listed under 'Tempering'. Wait for the mustard seeds to pop, and urad dal to turn golden in color. Remove from heat and mix in the idli batter.
- Cook idli: Add Eno fruit salt in the batter and mix it in gently. Don't over-mix the batter. Fill up the silicone molds about ¾th of the way. Place the silicone tray on a trivet and lower it in the instant pot. At this point the water will be boiling, so be careful while doing that. Carefully stack the second mold on top of the first one, placing it such that the cavities DON'T overlap. If using Idli stand, fill up the idli molds ¾ of the way and follow the same process. Close the lid. Set vent at VENTING position. Press STEAM for 12 minutes. The Instant Pot doesn't count down the timer in STEAM mode, so set an external timer (oven, microwave, siri, alexa).
- Idli is done: When the timer is done, let the pin drop before opening the lid, takes about 30 seconds or so. Carefully open lid and remove the silicone molds or idli stand. Let the idlis cool for 2-3 minutes before popping them out of the mold. If using the silicone molds, they slip right out when you invert the mold and push gently. Serve idli warm, with your favorite side of chutney. We love ours with homemade cilantro-mint chutney and ginger chutney.
- Eno Fruit Salt: If you cannot find this in-store or online, substitute it with ½ teaspoon baking soda + ½ teaspoon citric acid.
- Rava: Look for coarse rava (suji) for best results. If you like to save time, buy roasted rava.
- Yogurt: Use regular plain yogurt for this recipe. 2% or full-fat, both work great. I don't recommend using Greek yogurt in this recipe.
- Make it nut-free: Skip the cashews to make this recipe 100% nut-free.