This easy recipe for Cinnamon Raisin French toast casserole is everything you love about a French toast, just more delicious and way more convenient!
Sweet cinnamon raisin bread soaked in custard, baked till it’s soft and gooey on the inside and crispy and caramelized on the outside! A slice of this feels like a treat!
With this make-ahead and bake french toast recipe, I’ve got you covered for busy mornings, weekend breakfast or brunch, holiday guests… and, when you feel like having breakfast for dinner 😉
Cinnamon Raisin Bread French Toast Breakfast Casserole
My girls love French Toast with Cinnamon Raisin bread.
They also love my French Toast Casserole, which I make using challah bread, eggs, milk, and cinnamon.
So I thought, why not combine the two!
By replacing challah with cinnamon raisin bread, I was able to make this sumptuous breakfast using only 4 ingredients- bread, eggs, milk and maple syrup.
The topping is only 2 more ingredients, butter and brown sugar. The topping is optional, but I highly recommend it.
I finish off the casserole in the oven, under the broiler, for about a minute. That melts the butter all over the bread and caramelizes the sugar on top.
When I made it the first few times, I was blown away with the results. Every bite felt like a luxurious treat.
How to make this French Toast Recipe with Cinnamon Raisin Bread?
This easy French toast recipe is pretty straightforward. Make custard, soak bread, bake this breakfast casserole!
You can use your favorite brand of Cinnamon Raisin bread, Raisin bread, Cinnamon bread or any other flavored bread you like. You can make brioche french toast, or french toast with challah bread with the same recipe.
Watch the video below to see how easy it is to put this casserole together. Here are the steps:
Overnight French Toast Breakfast Casserole
Ok, you’re going to LOVE this french toast recipe even more when I tell you that you can assemble it the night before and make it in the morning!
That makes this make ahead breakfast casserole ideal for the holidays or weekends, when you have family and friends staying over.
I find that the morning after the big dinner tends to be more chaotic when you have house guests. This Cinnamon Raisin French Toast casserole is my lifesaver for one of those mornings.
The BEST PART is that you can prepare this easy breakfast casserole recipe the evening before, cover it with foil, pop it in the refrigerator, and bake in the morning, while you sip your coffee and wake yourself up 🙂
This casserole is so much more convenient than flipping individual French toasts, and it looks like a million bucks when it comes out of the oven, or the Instant Pot.
Multiplying this French toast recipe is real easy too!
Simple multiply all ingredients, use a larger bowl or cake pan, and put it in for the SAME time.
When I am entertaining a crowd with this breakfast casserole recipe, I prefer to do it all in the oven. And that’s because I can use two 9X13 inch pans and make enough for everyone in one go!
Instant Pot Cinnamon Bread French Toast
The Instant Pot pressure cooker has revolutionized the way people bake.
Many people prefer to bake in the Instant Pot so they don’t have to turn on the oven, especially if the temperatures outside are soaring.
When it’s just for the four of us, I prefer to cook this breakfast casserole in the Instant Pot, simply because I can turn it on and leave the house for work if I want to. I don’t have to babysit the oven.
I do like to finish off this casserole with the topping. I sprinkle brown sugar all over, place the thin butter slices and broil in the oven for about a minute. That takes it to a whole new level.
Oven Baked Cinnamon French Toast Casserole
Baking this casserole is pretty easy and hand-off in the oven.
Pre-heat oven to 375F, assemble the casserole and bake for 35-40 minutes. Sprinkle on the butter and sugar and broil it for a minute.
Recipe Video: If the video doesn’t play in the recipe card, you can watch it on Youtube here.
Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback!
Cinnamon Raisin French Toast Casserole
- 4 Slices Cinnamon Raisin Bread (store bought)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk I used 2% fat milk,
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
Broiling in the Oven (optional step)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp butter thinly sliced, or chopped
Assemble the casserole
- Prepare the bread: Lightly grease an oven safe bowl or cake pan with butter or oil. Cube cinnamon raisin bread into about 1 inch pieces and add to the bowl.
- Make and add custard: Whisk together milk, eggs and maple syrup. Pour over the bread pieces, pressing down gently so all the bead soaks the milk-egg mix. Let is rest for 5 mins. This allows the bread to soak up the liquid.
Cook it in an Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker)
- Cover the bowl with aluminum foil. Pour 1-2 cups of water in the inner pot. Place a trivet, and place the bowl on top of the trivet. Close lid and set Manual/Pressure Cook for 15 minutes (high) on sealing mode. Carefully release pressure after time is up (QR), and open the lid after pin drops. Using oven mitts, remove the bowl.
Bake it in the Oven
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or till cooked through. Carefully remove from the oven.
Topping: Optional, But Highly Recommended
- Thinly slice butter and place all over the baked bread pieces. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the bread. Broil it in the oven for 1-2 minute or so, or until butter melts all over the bread and the sugar starts to caramelize. Cool for 5 minutes and dig in. Pour some warmed maple syrup and enjoy!