Chicken Wonton Soup is perhaps one of the most ordered soups at a Chinese restaurant. Soft bite-size dumplings called Wontons, are stuffed with meat or vegetables, and cooked in a clear broth infused with aromatics like ginger, garlic and spring onions.
I love this soup, and have figured out an easier way to make it on a weeknight too, using store-bought frozen chicken wontons. This hearty and healthy recipe for a real easy Instant Pot Chicken Wonton Soup makes for one delicious and satisfying dinner.
For all my vegetarian readers, I have also included an easy customization to make Vegetable Wonton Soup in your Instant Pot.
Short-Cut for Wontons
I love simple and easy meals like this, that are so comforting at the end of a long day. When I have time, I love to make homemade wontons for this soup using ground chicken, spring onions, aromatics and seasoning.
But, for weeknights and crazy times, this soup is real easy to put together using my favorite store-bought frozen wontons, Chicken Cilantro Mini Wontons from Trader Joe’s. This soup will work equally well with your favorite brand of dumplings too.
Easy Wonton Soup Recipe
All you have to do is add all ingredients, except wontons and greens, in the Instant Pot, pressure cook for 2 minutes, release pressure, add wontons and greens, and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Done! And dinner is served in under 30 minutes.
Vegetarian Wonton Soup
It is extremely easy to make this soup vegetarian by switching just two ingredients. Switch the chicken broth with vegetable broth and buy your favorite flavor of vegetable dumplings.
I personally like the Thai Vegetable Gyoza dumplings from Trader Joe’s. I combine that with their low-sodium vegetable broth.
Stove-Top Recipe for Chicken Wonton Soup
Heat a large stockpot on medium-high heat. Add all ingredients EXCEPT wontons and greens. Bring everything to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 6-8 mins. Open lid.
Add wontons and cook till they float on top, takes about 2-4 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add greens and stir well. Let them soften in the soup for a few minutes. Serve warm!
Check out more INSTANT POT SOUP RECIPES here!
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback!
Instant Pot Chicken Wonton Soup
- 1 32 oz pack Chicken stock : use vegetable stock for vegetarian recipe
- 1 pack frozen wontons : I get mini wontons from Trader Joe’s
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled and fine chopped, OR, 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and fine chopped, OR, 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Less Sodium Soy Sauce adjust based on salt level of stock
- 1 tablespoon Sambal Oelek Ground Fresh Chili Garlic Paste, or any chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon Agave Nectar or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Roasted Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon Fish Sauce optional
- 3 medium carrots sliced
- 2-3 heads of Bok Choy stems and greens (leaves) chopped and separated
Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker Recipe
- Prep the veggies: For bok choy, chop the leaves and keep aside, they will be added after cooking is done. Chop the carrots and boy choy stems. Finely chop ginger and garlic.
- Turn on Instant Pot: Add chicken stock and everything EXCEPT wontons and boy choy ‘greens (leaves)’. Close lid. Pressure cook for 2 minutes. Manually release the pressure by moving the pressure valve from Sealing to Venting mode. If you are multiplying this recipe, wait 5 minutes before releasing pressure to avoid the soup from shooting through the pressure valve. Open lid once the pin drops.
- Finish: Turn on SAUTE and add the frozen wontons. Cook 2-4 minutes till they float on top. (Watch the video). Cancel SAUTE and add the boy choy greens that you had kept aside. Stir and let them soften in the soup for a few minutes.
- Prep the veggies as above. Heat a large stockpot on medium-high heat. Add all ingredients EXCEPT wontons and greens. Bring everything to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 6-8 mins. Open lid.
- Add wontons and cook till they float on top, takes about 2-4 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add greens and stir well. Let them soften in the soup for a few minutes. Serve warm!