Crisp green beans and carrots, sautéed with mustard seeds and coconut flakes, and seasoned with salt, coriander and cayenne. This super simple and amazingly easy vegetable side-dish is a great accompaniment to many entrée. You can switch out the beans and carrots and make this recipe with your favorite vegetables like cauliflower, peas, zucchini, broccoli, corn…. possibilities of customization are endless. In fact, I make a very similar dish following this recipe with chopped beets, Coconut Beets. The coconut flakes are optional in this recipe, but I really enjoy the slight sweet and nutty flavor that they give in this dish.
My kids who are otherwise not very fond of green beans, enjoy this dish a lot. The sweetness of the carrots and the coconut contrasts really well with the crisp beans.
I made this recipe in my programmable pressure cooker, the Instant Pot DUO. But, making this on the stove top is as easy, and takes only 10 minutes. To learn more about the instant pot, check out my Instant Pot FAQ and Accessories blog.
How to Stir Fry on the Stove-top
- I start off by heating a heavy bottom skillet on medium heat. Add oil and when it’s hot, add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start sizzling/spluttering, add chopped beans and carrots and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add salt and spices. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of water and stir everything. Add unsweetened coconut flakes. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Open lid and saute for 2-4 minutes, depending on how crunchy you like your veggies. Garnish with Cilantro!
Pairing Suggestions for Green Beans and Carrots
Green Beans and Carrots (Instant Pot or Stir-fry)Print Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne (adjust to your taste)
- 2 tablespoon Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 1/4 cup water (or more, depending on size of IP)
- 1 cup green beans, chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup carrots, chopped in 1/2 inch cubes
- (I have used 2 cups of vegetables, you can switch these with your choice of vegetables too)
Prep: chop beans and carrots. Turn on Instant Pot on SAUTE (more). Add olive oil and wait till display reads "hot". Add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start sizzling/spluttering, add chopped beans and carrots and sauté for 30 seconds.
Add salt, spices and water. I add 2 tablespoons for a 3QT, for 2 cups of veggies. add unsweetened coconut flakes. This step is optional though. Stir everything together. Cancel SAUTE. Close lid. Set vent to SEALING mode. Set Manual or Pressure Cook for 1 minute.
Open lid after manually releasing pressure (QR). Garnish with Cilantro!
Pin it for later: