Keema Matar Quesadillas – Spicy Indian Keema gets a Mexican makeover! Keema Matar or Keema Mutter, is an Indian dish where minced meat (Keema) is simmered with warm Indian spices (garam masala) and finished by sautéing with Green Peas (Matar). This dish, like many meat dishes in the northern part of India, is said to have Persian roots and was brought to India by the Mughals.
The simplicity and ease of this dish makes it a weeknight wonder, and it’s elegance makes it an entertaining classic. It is said that during the Mughal period, the royals used to serve it on special occasions. For a detailed recipe for making Keema Matar, click here!
I am always looking for ways to jazz up classic dishes or fun ways to use left-overs. That’s how this dish was born! To make these delicious quesadillas, use your favorite brand of tortillas- flour or wholegrain. I use whole-grain tortillas with flax seeds from Trader Joe’s, they have a very nice earthy taste to them. Account for 1-1.5 tortillas per person. You will also need shredded cheese of your choice. I used shredded pepper jack cheese; goes really well with the spiced meat.
To make Keema Matar Quesadillas, I simply spread the left-over meat in a tortilla, top it with some shredded pepper jack cheese, and grill it- how can you go wrong with that!
Simple Steps to Make the Quesadillas
For a detailed recipe for making Keema Matar, click here! Assembly is pretty straight-forward:
- Add the minced meat to half the tortilla. No other sauce required. If the meat just came out of the refrigerator, you may want to warm it in the microwave so that its close to room temperature.
- Sprinkle cheese over the meat.
- Fold over the tortilla.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat & oil the pan. Butter works even better 🙂
- Flip over after about 2-3 minutes and roast the other side.
The cheese will melt and bind the tortilla together. Simply cut into slices and serve.
Another terrific dish to make with Keema Matar is Keema Naan Pizza.
Rate this Recipe
If you tried this recipe, please give a star ★ rating.
Keema Matar Quesadillas: Spicy Minced Meat & Peas Quesadillas
- 1.5 cups Cooked Keema : click to get recipe
- 1.5 cups shredded pepper jack cheese or your favorite cheese
- 6 tortillas flour or wholegrain
- 1 teaspoon oil for pan-grilling
- Spread 1/4 cup Keema mix on one half of a tortilla. Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons cheese on it. Fold over the tortilla in half as shown in the picture above.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and drizzle some oil in it. Place the quesadillas in and cook for 2 minutes per side, or till golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool for 2 minutes. Cut them into slices using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife. Serve with your favorite Mexican condiment- sour cream, salsa or a cabbage slaw salad!