Air frying is a quick, easy, and tasty way to perfectly roast or crisp your vegetables. Here's a complete guide to air fryer vegetables, including tips, and tried and tested recipes for healthy side dishes, and snacks.
From sweet potato fries and kale chips to roasted carrots and Indian aloo gobi, we've got you covered for a variety of recipes, mostly under 30 minutes!
If you're looking for easy, tasty, and healthy recipes for crisp roasted vegetables in your air fryer, you've come to the right place!
This complete guide to air fryer vegetables includes a brief introduction to an air fryer, common questions regarding how and what kind of vegetables to cook, along with tried and trusted recipes for a variety of veggies, including broccoli, carrots, okra, sweet potatoes, just to name a few.
If you're new to this gadget, Air Fryer is a countertop appliance that uses rapid air circulation to crisp food, with very little oil. This is the same technology that's used in convection ovens.
Air Fryer Facts: You can find a detailed guide on an Air Fryer - how it works, which one to buy, and what all you can cook in it, in this article: How Does an Air Fryer Work?
Why Roast Vegetables in an Air Fryer
- Air fryers cook much faster than ovens. Most recipes taking less than half the time it takes in an oven.
- The end results are evenly roasted vegetables that are healthy, with fewer calories.
- It works out great for weeknight meals. While my entree is cooking, I cook the vegetable side dish in the air fryer.
- Part of the reason air fryers are so popular for cooking vegetables is the ease of cooking. In two simple steps you can have perfectly crisp veggies that are tender on the inside. Simply toss the vegetables with a little oil and seasoning and spread them in the air fryer basket. Set the temperature and time, and air fry until they're cooked to your liking!
In this collection, you will find recipes for healthy vegetable side dishes or snacks that can be made in the air fryer, mostly in under 30 minutes!
17 Healthy Air fryer Vegetable Recipes
Free Air Fryer Time Chart
Tips for Perfectly Roasted Air Fried Vegetables
- Start with dry vegetables. Ensure that after rinsing all the water has been drained.
- For even cooking, cut the vegatebles in even sizes.
- Avoid adding a wet seasoning or too much oil.
- Spread them in a single layer in the fryer basket so air can circulate under and around each piece.
- For retaining a crunch, preheat the air fryer for 2-3 minutes.
- Shake the basket half way through, or flip larger vegetables to ensure even roasting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let's take a look at some frequently asked questions about Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes:
The fryer basket in an air fryer has an advantage over an oven because the hot air is able to circulate underneath the food in the basket, cooking faster with crisper results. The air fryer cooks faster than an oven. But it is limited on space so if you're cooking a large quantity, you may have to cook in multiple batches.
Air Frying vegetables is certainly healthy. Since you get the same crisp texture in a fraction of the oil, the dishes are lower in calories and fat, especially when compared to deep-fried vegetables. Air frying also helps retain a lot of key nutrients.
Air frying does not destroy all key nutrients. In fact, compared to other methods of cooking, air frying maintains a lot of the key nutrients in vegetables because they aren't soaked in oil and the circulating hot air cooks them quickly.
There are many vegetables you can cook with a wide variety of seasonings as well! Some of my personal favorites include corn on the cob, sweet potatoes, sweet potato fries, broccoli, turnips, potatoes, carrots, Brussel sprouts, and mushrooms. Take a look at this article for more recipes!
Yes, you can cook frozen vegetables in an air fryer. The circulating air in the air fryer helps dry out the frozen vegetables and create crispiness. Keep in mind though, that they won't be as crisp when compared to roasting fresh vegetables.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Check out the full range of Air Fryer Recipes
If you try any of these recipes, do comment below and share your feedback. Or share your photo on Instagram and tag us by using #spicecravings. Happy Healthy Cooking!