Lasagna used to be a weekend dish for me, until, I made this weeknight twist on the classic- Quick Ravioli Lasagna. I call this semi-homemade dish Lazy Lasagna, because you need just 3-ingredients: store-bought fresh Ravioli, cheese and marinara sauce.
I assemble the lasagna and cook it in my programmable pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO. And just like that, we have a delicious instant pot Italian dinner ready, in a little over 30 minutes, with minimal effort (see instant pot FAQ to learn more). You can also cook it in the oven.
How to make Homemade Pasta Sauce
I often customize the store bought marinara sauce, or make it from scratch by adding veggies and ground meat to it. I make a big batch of this sauce and keep it in the freezer.
It comes in handy to make all kinds of instant pot Italian recipes or stove top dishes like lasagnas, a simple pasta dinner, base sauce for a quick pizza, or even for making my meatball subs for dinner or parties.
Here is the RECIPE for Homemade PASTA SAUCE. But in this recipe, you can use your favorite brand of plain marinara sauce as well.
What do you make Instant Pot Ravioli Lasagna in?
I use a spring-form pan for this simple lasagna recipe. I make it in my Instant Pot DUO and it fits a 7-inch spring form pan. After cooking, you can release the spring-form and cut the lasagna like a pie. You can also make it in any oven-safe baking dish that you have.
What is the Difference Between Ravioli lasagna and a Traditional Lasagna
Traditionally, Lasagna refers to a dish made with several layers of a flat noodle pasta with tomato or cream based sauces and other ingredients, such as meats, cheese or vegetables.
When I make a traditional Lasagna, I typically make two kinds of fillings:
- One layer of filling is sautéed spinach & crimini mushrooms with onions, garlic, and Italian seasoning.
- The second layer is browned ground meat and spicy Italian sausage, or, if I am making a vegetarian Lasagna, then I oven-roast red and yellow bell-peppers, fennel and onions.
I use store-bought marinara sauce and Barilla’s no-boil lasagna noodles for layering. 55 minutes or so in the oven, and we have ourselves a pan of delicious lasagna. I use this recipe a lot whenever I am entertaining a big crowd.
Customize this Instant Pot Ravioli Lasagna Recipe
When making this easy and simple Ravioli Lasagna, I use spinach & ricotta ravioli. To make this a completely vegetarian lasagna recipe, make sure that the marinara sauce you are using is vegge too.
You can customize this homemade lasagna recipe, so that instead of spinach lasagna, you can use your favorite flavor of ravioli.
This lasagna recipe can be adjusted to make individual portions too. You can use 8 oz ramekins cups in the Instant pot.
Oven Recipe for Ravioli Lasagna
If you want to make this simple lasagna recipe in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Follow all steps from 1-5.
- Place the lasagna pan on the middle rack and bake for 40-45 minutes, depending on the thickness of the raviolis and your oven strength.
- Uncover and broil for 3-5 minutes to brown the cheese on top. This step is optional though.
- Rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Instant Pot Easy Ravioli Lasagna
- 18 oz. spinach ricotta ravioli or your favorite flavor (approx 2 packs)
- 3 cups marinara sauce or bolognese sauce (jar or homemade)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese : adjust to make or less cheesy
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup water
- Add about 1/2 cup sauce, or more, and spread it around to cover the bottom of the pan. Layer 6-8 raviolis over it, depending on the size of raviolis. The raviolis should overlap a bit. Spread about 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese followed by a couple of tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese. You can increase or decrease the quantity of cheese based on your liking.
- Repeat this step one more time with sauce, ravioli and cheese.
- For the final layer, spread a layer of sauce and layer the remaining raviolis on top. Press down gently to pack the lasagna. Ladle over the remaining sauce. Spread mozzarella cheese followed by parmesan cheese.
- If using spring form pan, wrap the bottom of the pan in aluminum foil. This prevents any water or extra moisture from making the lasagna soggy. Grease aluminum foil and cover the top of the pan. Greasing prevents the cheese from sticking to the foil.
- Pour a cup of water in the pressure cooker (or more depending on your recommended instructions), place trivet and the lasagna pan over it. Pressure cook for 20 minutes on Manual or Pressure cook setting. Valve set to Sealing position. Manually release pressure after 5-10 minutes (NPR 5-10). As an optional step, you can broil the lasagna in the oven for 3-5 minutes. This gives a nice golden brown color to the lasagna. Carefully release the spring and remove the round and serve!
- If you want to make this recipe in the oven, follow all steps from 1-5. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the lasagna pan on the middle rack and bake for 40-45 minutes, depending on the thickness of the raviolis and your oven strength. Rest for 10 minutes before serving.