Tender, juicy, lemony and seasoned with an earthy mediterranean spice blend, these Grilled Lamb Chops are bursting with flavor, and simply delicious.
Lamb is the #1 choice of red meat in my house. I can cook it in any preparation like kebab, curry, chops, or biryani, and chances are, there won’t be any leftovers.
This easy recipe for Grilled Lamb Chops or Lamb Cutlets is one of my weeknight specialities.
With a prep time of under 10 minutes and a cook time of 6 minutes, this is one of my favorite “dinner in 30” recipes.
Pair these lamb chops with a glass of Pinot noir or Cabernet Sauvignon wine, and it’s an official “date-night“!
How to Season Lamb Chops
I use a rack of lamb that has already been frenched for this recipe and ask my butcher to slice them into individual chops.
I like to marinate the lamb chops and leave them aside for 15 minutes while I prep the sides and salad.
These short 15 minutes allow the lamb chops to absorb the flavors of the marinade and stay juicy while grilling them.
I always have the spices for a mediterranean marinade handy as I use it for other proteins like chicken and shrimp too.
To make this lamb chop marinade, I mix in greek yogurt with dry spices, freshly grated garlic (or garlic powder), freshly grated lemon zest and a splash of lemon juice.
Then, I apply this mix liberally all over the chops.
Put them on a plate or in a Gallon Size Storage Bags and let the chops hang out in the marinade for 15 minutes.
How to Cook Lamb Chops:
These lamb chops can be grilled three ways, on an outdoor grill, in a stove-top skillet, or, under the broiler in the oven.
I keep switching between these three methods based on convenience, mood and who’s grilling 🙂
We like our grilled lamb chops almost well done, so please adjust the timing to your taste.
Reduce the timing by a minute or so per side for medium done chops.
Here are the three ways to cook the chops:
Outdoor Grilled Lamb Chops: My husband is the grill master of the house, so, if he’s cooking, outdoor grill it is.
3 minutes on each side (on a medium-high heat zone). Rest for 5 minutes and you have the most succulent lamb chops.
Pan-fried Lamb Chops: This is my preferred method of cooking the chops. I like to use a grill pan for these to get the gorgeous grill marks, but an saute pan will work just as well too.
Heat the skillet on medium high heat. Grill the chops for 3 minutes on each side and rest for 5 minutes and you’re ready to eat.
Oven Recipe for Lamb Chops: If my stove-top burners are occupied, or if my kids are cooking these, then we use the broiler for cooking the lamb chops.
I place them on a lined baking sheet and pop it under the broiler, such that the meat is about 4 inches away from the heat. Again 3 minutes on each side, and rest 5 minutes before serving.
In all cases, if you want medium rare chops, reduce the lamb chops grill time to 2 minutes per side.
Full step-by-step instructions are in the recipe card below.
What to Serve with Grilled Lamb Chops
Since these chops are marinated in mediterranean spices, they are best served with other mediterranean food / sides like the ones below:
Saffron Rice Pilaf
Quinoa Tabbouleh salad
Spanakorizo or Spinach Rice
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback!
Grilled Lamb Chops with Rack of Lamb
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt : plain whole milk
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper optional
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (about 1/2 lime juiced)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic freshly grated or finely chopped. About 3-4 cloves, or, 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1.5 lb rack of lamb (frenched). Typically yields 8 lamb chops, sliced into individual chops
- Marinate: Lamb Chops In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except lamb chops and mix well with a fork. Wipe dry, cut and lay flat all the chops on a platter/tray. Generously brush the marinade on all over the lamb chops coating all sides. Cover and keep aside for 15 minutes.
Pan Fried Chops
- Heat a wide skillet over medium-high heat (takes around 3-4 minutes). Use a grill pan if you want the grill marks. Place the chops in the pan. Cook 3 minutes each side for well done chops. Reduce to 2 minutes each side for medium rare done chops.
- Heat up grill. Grill chops for 3 minutes on each side (on a medium-high heat zone). Reduce to 2 minutes each side for medium rare done chops.
- Switch on broiler for a few minutes. Place chops on a lined baking sheet and pop it under the broiler, such that the meat is about 4 inches away from the heat. 3 minutes on each side for well done and 2 minutes for medium rare.
- Serve: Transfer the chops to a platter and rest for 5 minutes. Serve with lemon-saffron rice or warm pita bread and a greek salad.
- Ask your butcher to cut the rack of lamb into individual chops, or, using the bone as a guide- cut into 8 chops of around 3/4" thickness). The chili flakes and cayenne can be reduced or omitted to suit your spice preference.