Kale and Mango Salad with Chickpeas is a hot favorite dish in my home currently. It screams SPRING, in looks as well as flavor. I lightly sauté my favorite kale slaw mix (from Trader Joe's), with chickpeas, juicy mango, and top it with crunchy slivered almonds. All the flavors come together really well in the end. My family enjoys it as a side with Jamaican Jerk Chicken, Mediterranean Lamb Chops and Black Pepper Shrimp, and, leftovers make for a delicious power-packed lunch.
Customize this Kale Salad Recipe
I use cooked chickpeas in this kale salad recipe. You can use canned, or pre-cooked chickpeas. I typically, pressure cook about a cup of chickpeas for 30 minutes in my Instant Pot, and use them in different recipes throughout the week.
Chickpeas add a nice earthy and creamy flavor, and, boost the protein and fiber content of any dish. That being said, you can choose to use other kinds of beans instead, like black beans, kidney beans, or, skip them entirely to make a simple kale and mango salad. The same goes for soycutash too. I personally, love the contrast of flavors that soycutash brings to this kale salad, with the sweet corn, crunchy edamame and juicy peppers. But, you can use frozen corn or peas instead, or, skip it entirely.
On another note, I have used mango in this recipe since I love the combination of kale and mango. You can easily switch that with a pear or a juicy granny smith apple too.
One-Skillet Kale Recipe
The ease of putting together Kale and Mango salad with Chickpeas is a big bonus for me. This is a one skillet dish; so no extra dishes to wash! I sauté cooked chickpeas in cumin and paprika, add soycutash and saute it till it thaws. Then add the Kale slaw mix, salt and vinegar, and sauté it for 30 seconds, and turn off the heat. Add chopped mango, garnish with roasted slivered almonds, and just like that, this nutrition packed slaw is ready!
Here's how to make Kale and Mango Salad with Chickpeas:
Serving Suggestions for this Kale Salad
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback!
Kale and Mango Salad with Chickpeas
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup cooked chickpeas : canned chickpeas or dry chickpeas pressure cooked (can skip to make simple slaw)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup frozen soycutash or corn or peas : optional
- 10 oz bag of Kale slaw mix : mine has kale, brussel sprouts, red and green cabbage, broccoli slaw
- ½-3/4 teaspoon salt : adjust to taste
- 1 cup mango peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons dry toasted slivered almonds
- Chickpeas: For pressure cooking chickpeas, soak them overnight, rinse and drain them. Add 1 cup water to ½ cup chickpeas, ½ teaspoon salt and pressure cook in the Instant Pot on Bean/Chili mode for 30 mins. NPR and drain the chickpeas. Reserve ¾ cup for this slaw and refrigerate the remaining for later use. I use the leftover chickpeas in salads, soups and curries. If using canned chickpeas, rinse and drain the chickpeas.
- Bring it together: Heat a wide skillet on medium high heat. Add olive oil and seasonings, and add chickpeas. Saute the chickpeas for about 30 seconds. If adding frozen soycutash, add it now and saute 30 seconds to a minute, till it thaws. Add kale slaw mix, add salt and vinegar, and saute for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat. Add chopped mango and slivered almonds and mix well.
- Serve warm or cold: Serve this slaw warm or cold as a side-dish, or enjoy it as an entree.